History of Wascana Country Club

1911 to Present

The Wascana Country Club was incorporated on June 16, 1911. The club opened May 26, 1912 with 300 members in attendance.

When first constructed, the Wascana featured a 9-hole golf course and a clubhouse on 117 acres of land south of the Wascana Creek.

The one story clubhouse was 75 by 60 feet and housed a lounge (featuring a four way fireplace in the center of the room), dressing rooms, dining room and pro shop with club storage and servants rooms in the attic. Outside of the clubhouse a stable housed the member’s horses while they played golf.


On November 15, 1913 the club financed a streetcar line from Albert Street to the present 8th hole, which was the major form of transportation from 1913 - 1920. The members built a polo field in 1913 on what is now the 17th hole.

September 9, 1929 fire destroyed the original clubhouse. Even though five people were asleep in the building, they all escaped without injury. In less than an hour after the fire was discovered, the whole building had been consumed and nothing remained except the chimney. A year after the fire, a new clubhouse was rebuilt on the site of the old clubhouse around the surviving fireplace. In 1961, 40 acres of land was purchased to provide the driving range.

By the 1960’s the clubhouse had become inadequate for the number of members, so a new clubhouse was built and opened September 22, 1961. Lorne Johnson, a member with the longest continuous membership was given the honor of cutting the ribbon and declaring the official opening of the present clubhouse. A dinner and dance followed for $7.00 per couple.

In 1993 the existing clubhouse went under major renovations. Locker rooms, a new meeting room call the Northwest Room and the Spike Lounge were added.

Many famous people have played our course including comedians Bob Hope and George Kirby, hockey stars Jean Belliveau and Gordie Howe, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Kent and Louis Meyers, a two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500 race.